Dr. A. S. Islam has published over 90 papers in
national and international journals including four in the
prestigious British journal, Nature and one in the
topmost USA science journal “Science”. He wrote two
textbooks on genetics, “Fundamentals of Genetics” and
its Bengali version, “Bongshogati bidyar Moolkatha (বংশগতি
বিদ্যার মূলকথা)”. Both original and its revised Bengali version were published by “Bangla Academy” – the premier Government -sponsored institution aimed at introducing Bengali as the medium of instructions at the highest level of education. Assisted by three more: Mustak Ibne Ayub (at the Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, DU), Ms Sumaiya Farah Khan at Jagannath University and Ms Sabrina Elias at Plant Biotech lab. DU the revised enlarged edition of this book entitled, “বংশগতি বিদ্যার মূলকথা ও জিন প্রকৌশল” has been published in 2011 by মাতৃভাষা প্রকাশ।
Below is given the list of his Publications:.
1. Islam A.S. (1950) Contribution to the life history of
Ottelia alismoides Pers. J. Indian Bot. Society 28: 79-91.
2. Islam A. S. and B. Saha (1951) Chromosome number of the genus Gymnopetalum. Curr. Sci. (Bangalore, India) 20:
3. Islam A.S. and A. Baten (1952) Cytology of Cyanotis. Nature 169: 475-458.
4. Islam A.S. (1952) A preliminary survey of ferns in Dhaka. Pakistan J. Forestry 4:
5. Islam A. S. (1953) Preliminary report on the Colchichine-induced tetraploids of Annona squamosa. Curr. Sci. (Bangalore, India) 22:119-120.
6. Islam A. S. and Khan Iqbal (1957) Studies on the germination of seeds of Corchorus species. Biologia 3: 165-167.
7. Islam A.S. (1958) Seedless strawberry. Pakistan J. Biol. Agric. Res. (Pakistan)1: 166-167.
8. Islam A. S. (1958) Crossing relationship in the genus Corchorus. Proc. International Botanic Congress held in Montreal, Canada.
9. Islam A. S. and M. Imam (1959) The systematic position of Gossypium bakerii. Biologia 5: 1959.
10. Islam A. S. (1960) Unproductivity in the Colchicine-induced Tetraploids of Annona squamosa L. Nature 187: 343-344.
11. Islam A. S. (1960) Application of cytogenetical methods in the determination of a new species in the genus Corchorus. Biologia 6:169-177.
12. Islam A. S. (1960) Possible role of unreduced gametes in the origin of polyploid Fragaria. Biologia 6: 189-192.
13. Islam A. S. and A. Rashid (1960) First successful hybridization between the two jute yielding species. Nature 185 : 258-259.
15. Islam A. S. (1960) Reinvestigation into the reported instances of paternal and maternal inheritance in Fragaria. Biologia 6: 241-251.
16. Islam A. S.(1960) Induced polyploidy and its utility in plant breeding. Agric. Res. Pakistan 11: 607-612
17. Islam A. S. (1961) Some more chromosome numbers in the genus Corchorus. Curr. Sci. (Bangalore, India) 39: 433.
18. Islam A. S. and A. Rashid (1961) A new jute hybrid. J. Heredity 52: 287-291.
19. Islam A. S.(1961) The haploid strawberry Fragaria vesea L. and the significance of haploidy in phylogeny and plant breeding. The Scientist (Karachi, Pakistan) 4: 1-17.
20. Islam A. S. (1964) A rare hybrid combination through application of hormone and embryo culture. Nature 201 : 320.
21. Yamaguchi and A.S. Islam (1967) Translocation of some C14 labeled amino acids and three herbicides in two varieties of barley.Hilgardia. 38: 207-229.
22. Islam A. S. and M. M. Haque. (1967) A natural hybrid not possible to produce artificially. Sind Univ. Sci. Res. J. 2: 191-199.
23. Haque M.M. and A.S. Islam (1967) Reproduction of “Tossa-Daisee” jute hybrid. Sind Univ. Sci. Res. J. 3: 84-89.
24. Islam A. S. and Feroza S. Ali (1968) Investigation into the causes of failure of the reciprocal cross. C. olitorius X C. trilocularis. Sind Univ. Res. J. 2(2) 209-214
24. Islam A. S. and M.M. Haque (1969) Some promising breeding materials among F4 and backcross derivatives of the natural hybrid. C. olitorius x C. aestuans. Sind Univ. Sci. Res. J. 4: 82-99.
25. Haque M.M. and A. S. Islam (1969) Some promising backcross derivatives of C. olitorius x C. aestuans, Sind Univ. Sci. Res. J. 4: 123-130.
26. Islam A. S. and R. Mughal (1969) Corchorus pascorum : Transmission of chemically induced fruit formation with environmental change. Science 164: 315-316.
27. Islam A.S. and Sharif A. (1970) Breeding of cotton Varieties for Jassid resistance. Canadian Journal Genetics and Cytology 12:454-460
28. Nasim Bhutto, S. Pathan and A.S. Islam (1969) Anatomical effects of indole-3- butyric acid on flower pedicel abscission ofGossypium. Sind Univ. Sci. Res. J. Vol. 4. 109-113.
29. Haque M.M.and A.S. Islam (1970) Some promising breeding materials in F2 and first backcross derivatives of Corchorus olitorius x C. capsularis. Sind Univ. Sc. Res. J. 5: 38-42.
30. Afsari Sharif, Iqbal Bhutto and A. S. Islam (1970) Meiotic study of two F1 progeny of the hexaploid Gossypium hirsutum X G. anomalum. Biologia 16(2): 119-126.
31. Islam A. S. (1965) Some biochemical differences between the long-day atlas variety of barley and a recessive mutation for day neutral flowering. Sind Univ. Sci. Res. J. 1(1): 59-67.
32. Islam A. S. and Zeeshan Abbasi (1966) A tetraploid jute hybrid c-4 X Jute C. olitorius x new world wild Jute species, C. siliquosus. Sind Univ. Sci. Res. J. 2 (1):33-41
33. Rashida Mughal and A. S. Islam (1966) Occurrence of parthenogenetic polyhaploid in a cross. c-4x Corchorus olitorius x C. pascuorum. Sind Univ. Res. J. 2(2) 209-214.
34. Islam A. S., M. M. Haque and Aslam Rajput (1971) Determination of genomic relationship in the genus Corchorus through improved techniques. Pakistan J. Bot. 2 (1): 16-28.
35. Islam A. S. and K. Maruyama (1971) Responses of various organs of Solanum melangena to different nutrients in callus formation.Pakistan J. Bot. 2(2): 47-52.
36. Islam A. S. and Farhat Yasmin (1972) Studies of in vitro pollen germination of some Gossypium species. Bangladesh J. Bot. 1 (1 & 2): 93-104.
37. Islam A.S. and Haque M.M. (1972) A natural hybrid of jute and its possible role in the evolution of desired plant types. SABRAO Newsletter 4(1): 7-16
38. Islam A. S. and M. M. Haque (1973) Improvement of jute through interspecific hybridization. SABRAO Jour 5: 75-82.
39. Islam A. S., M. M. Haque and M. B. A. Dewan (1975) Attempt to produce photo-neutral strain of jute through interspecific hybridization. Japan. J. Breed. and Genet. 25 (6) : 349-354.
40. Islam A. S., M. Haque and S.M.B.A. Dewan (1976) First report of a tetraploid species of Corchorus from Africa. Curr. Sci. (Bangalore, India) 45: 308.
41. Islam A. S., K. Njoroge and A. Irudayanathan (1978) Random chromosome breakage by colchicine in Viscum fischeri (Loranthacene)Experientia 34, 328.
42. Haque M. M., K. S. Haque and A. S. Islam (1979) Study of fibre bearing potentiality of two jute (Corchorus) hybrids. Indian J. Genet. and Plant Breeding 43(2): 541-543.
43. Haque M. M., L. A. Khan, M. Rahman and A. S. Islam (1980) Attempt to overcome crossibility between the two jute species by use of a wild parent. Japan J. Breed. and Genet. 30: 231-235.
44. Islam A. S., M. Haque and M.S. Haque (1980) Fibre-bearing Potentiality of two jute hybrids. Indian J. Genetics & Plant Breeding 40(3)578-580.
45. Islam A. S.(1981) Production of desirable jute plant through tissue culture. COSTED: Tissue Culture Symp. on Economically Important plants, Singapore (Ed. A.N. Rao)
46. Banik A. K. and A.S Islam (1984) Genetics of some strains of triticale and their hybrid population. Indian J. agric. Sci. 54(5) : 359-61.
47. Das B., M. M. Haque, A.S. Islam, M. H. Rahman and M. I. Hoque (1986) In vitro plantlet development in jute. Proc. Nayaduma Mem. Symp. on Agricultural Application on Biotechnology. Madras, India. 15-17. December, pp. 106-114 (Eds. A. N. Rao and H. Y. Mohon Ram)
48. Islam A. S. (1986) Production and utilization of haploids for crop improvement. In New Genetical Approaches to Crop improvement, Eds. K.A. Siddiqui and A.M. Faruqui. pp. 35-39. Proc. Symp. held in Karachi, Pakistan.
49. Islam A. S., M. I. Haque and M. M. Haque (1987) Prospects of utilizing interspecific hybrids in jute for commercial purpose.Phytobreedon (India) 3(1): 26-38. (Invited article)
50. Islam A. S., Bithi Das, M. M. Haque, M. I. Hoque and M. H. Rahman (1987) Preliminary studies on the production of somaclonal variation in Jute. Proc. Mem. Symp. on Application of Biotechnology in Agriculture. Madras (Ed. A.N.N. Rao)
51. Chand Sultana, M. I. Hoque, M. M. Haque and A. S. Islam (1988) An attempt towards micropropagation of some fast growing fuel wood plants. Proc. Regional Seminar on Tissue Cult. Kathmandu, Nepal. March 14-17, 1988.
52. Haque M. M., M. I. Hoque, Asma Begum and A.S. Islam (1988) Regeneration of multiple shoots from shoot tip culture of Vigna mungo(L) Hopper. Proc. Intl. Symp. on Genetic Manipulation in Crops, Beijing, China, 22-26 October, 1984. pp. 222-226.
53. Seraj Z.I, Sarker AB and Islam AS (1992) Plant regeneration in a jute species (C. capsularis) and its possible relationship with glyoxalase-1. Plant Cell Rep. 12:29-33.
54. Islam A. S., M.M. Haque, M.I. Hoque, and Z.I. Seraj (1992) Tissue Culture and micropropagation of jute (Corchorus species), In:Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry, Vol 19, High Tech and Micropropagation III. Bajaj YPS (Ed.), Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg. pp. 505-526.
55. Sarker R.H. , M. A. Samad, Zeba I. Seraj, M.I. Hoque and A.S. Islam (1993) Pollen tube growth in crosses, Porteresia coarctata XOryza sativa. Euphytica 69: 129-134.
56. Hoque M. I., M. Islam, R.H. Sarker and A.S. Islam (1994) In vitro microtuber formation in potato (Solanum tuberosum L) In : Plant Tissue Culture (Ed. A.S. Islam), Oxford IBH, New Delhi, India. pp. 222-228.
Publications in Bangladesh Journals
57. Islam A S., Shah Nawaz and M. Haque (1973) Origin of spontaneous amphidiploid in the F3 progeny of the cross, Corchorus olitorius x C. depressus. Bangladesh J. Bot. 2(1): 41-50.
58. Islam A.S. and M. M. Haque (1973) Origin of a spontaneous amphidiploid in the F3 progney of the cross, C. olitorius x C. depressus.Bangladesh J. Bot. 2 (2): 122-134.
59. Islam A.S., M. M. Haque and Zaheeda Begum (1974) Production of autotetraploid in Trichosanthes dioica. Bangladesh J. Bot. 3: 59-65.
60. M. M. Haque, S.B.A. Dewan, D. Prodhan and A.S. Islam (1976) Report of chromosome number of Corchorus hochstettert from E. Africa. J. Asiatic Soc. Bangladesh. 11: 15-18.
61. Gupta V.K. and A.S. Islam (1977) Isozyme studies of some Viscum species as an AID to their identification. Dhaka Univ. Studies, Part B. 25 (2): 63-66, 1977.
62. Das Arjun and A.S. Islam (1977) Embryological studies of three species of Cenchrus and their relationship. Bangladesh J. Bot.6(1&2): 123-131.
63. Islam A.S., M.K.U. Chowdhury, M.G. Mostafa and M. M. Haque (1978) Isolation of protoplasts in two jute species. Bangladesh. J. Bot.7(2): 71-77.
64. Islam A.S. and M. Ngati (1978) Re-examination of meiosis of some East African Viscum species. Bangladesh J. Bot. 7(1): 65-75
65. Haque M. M., M. G. Mostafa and A.S. Islam (1979) Studies on some advanced generations of some Intra- and interspecific hybrids ofCorchorus for resistance to stem-rot. Dhaka Univ. Studies, Part B. 27: 92-99.
66. Haque M. M., S. K. Mistry and A.S. Islam (1979) Study of in vitro pollen tube growth in the cross. C. olitorius x C. aestuans.Bangladesh J. Bot. 9: 41-45.
67. Islam A.S., M. Rahman and M. M. Haque (1980) Development and differentiation of rice plants through anther culture. Bangladesh. J. Bot. 9(2): 167-172.
68. Haque M. M., A.S. Islam and A. Hye (1980) Study of rate of in vitro pollen tube growth of some Corchorus species and the effect of pollen grain density on the pollen tube growth. J. Asiatic Soc., Bangladesh. 15(2): 70-75.
69. Haque M. M., S.K. Mistry and A.S. Islam (1980) Study of in vivo pollen tube growth in the cross Corchorus olitorius var. Assam Red xC. aestuans. Bangladesh J. Bot. 9(1):41-45.
70. Ahmad K., Q.A. Ahmed, and A.S. Islam (1981) Inheritance of plant colour, pod shape and seed coat color in jute (Corchorus capsularis L.) Bangladesh J. Bot. 10(2):115-123.
71. Islam A. S. , M. M. Haque, Rifat Jahan and H. Rahman (1981) Attempt to produce polyhaploids from a spontaneous amphidiploid jute hybrid. Corchorus olitorius x C. depressus. Bangladesh J. Bot. 10(1): 63-68.
72. Ahmad K., Q.A. Ahmed and A.S. Islam (1982) Complementation and linkage study in Corchorus capsularis Jute. Bangladesh J. Bot.11(2):148-153.
73. Islam A. S., H. A. Begum and M.M. Haque (1982) Studies on regeneration of Saccharum officinarum for disease resistant varieties. Proc. 5th Intl. Cong. Plant Tissue and Cell Culture (IAPTC), held in Japan. pp. 709-710.
74. Islam A. S., M. H. Rahman, C. Sultana, B. Das and A.B.M.S. Islam (1982) Successful plantlet differentiation from shoot tip derived callus of Corchorus. Bangladesh J. Bot. 11(2): 185-187.
75. Shah Newaz K. M., Q.A. Ahmed and A.S. Islam (1983) Inheritance study of flood tolerance, indehiscent fruit and seed coat thickness in Corchorus olitorius L. for producing water-logging tolerant strains with indehiscent fruit. Bangladesh J. Bot. 12(1): 197-206.
76. Banik A.K. and A.S. Islam (1983) Study of correlation between the different agronomic and cytological characters in triticales and in F1 and F2 hybrid populations. Bangladesh J. Bot. 12(1): 81-86.
77. Banik A.K. and A.S. Islam (1983a) Effect of hexaploid wheat germplasm in triticale breeding. Bangladesh J. Bot. 12(1): 116-122.
78. Ahmad K., Q.A. Ahmed and A.S. Islam (1983) Inheritance study of corolla colour, seed coat colour, leaf taste and fibre colour inCorchorus capsularis. Bangladesh J. Bot. 12(2):190-196.
79. Hoque M. I., M. M. Haque, Asma Begum and A. S. Islam (1984) In vitro regeneration of plantlets from different explants of Vigna mungo (L.) Hopper. Bangladesh. J. Bot. 13(1): 45-51.
80. Rahman M. H., A.B.M. S. Islam, C.S. Parveen, M. M. Haque and A.S. Islam (1984) Production of sugarcane plants from some Bangladeshi varieties through tissue culture. Bangladesh J. Bot. 13(1): 79-87.
81. Zahidur Rahman S. M., S. Hadiuzzaman, M. M. Haque and A.S. Islam (1985) Shoot formation in Corchorus capsularis var. D154 from undifferentiated callus. Bangladesh J. Bot. 14(2): 141-146.
82. Das Bithi, M. I. Hoque, M. M. Haque and A.S. Islam (1987) Somaclonal variation in Corchorus capsularis jute. Proc. Regional Workshop on Tissue Culture of Tropical Crop Plants. Dhaka. 12-17, Sept., ’87 (Eds. A.S. Islam and M. M. Haque)
83. Islam A.S. (1988) Perspectives and prospects in jute breeding. Jute breeding, Department of Botany, D.U.
84. Hoque M. I., M. M. Haque and A.S. Islam (1988) Confirmation of Corchorus olitarius x C. capsularis hybrid through tissue culture and biochemical tests. Bangladesh J. Bot. 17(1): 71-79.
85. Hoque M. I, Shirin Mahbub, R. H. Sarker, M. M. Haque and A.S. Islam (1990) In vitro plant regeneration from different explants ofArachis hypogaea. Bangladesh J. Sci. Res. 9(1): 30-38.
86. Hoque M. I., Shirin Mahbub, R. H. Sarker, M. M. Haque and A.S. Islam (1991) Callus induction and plant regeneration from different ex-plants of Arachis hypogaea L. Plant Tissue Cult. 1(1): 35-41.
87. Hoque M. I., R. H. Sarker, M. M. Haque and A.S. Islam (1991) In vitro multiple shoot regeneration in Anthocephalus indica L.Bangladesh J. Bot. 20(2): 193-197.
88. Ahmad S. Islam and Khalid W. Islam. Nurturing a Culture of Science – paper presented at the Islamic Academy of Sciences’ Conference at Islamabad, 2002
89. Greg Clark and Ahmad S. Islam - Current Genomics Research: The Prospect of Unraveling Gene Function and Its utilization in Crop Improvement. Plant Tissue Cult. 12(1) : 79-91, 2002 (June)
90 Hemayet Ullah, Gregory Clark and A. S. Islam. Internet Resources for Molecular Biology : A Primer for Scientists from Least Developed Countries. Plant Tissue Cult. 11(2): 195-208, 2001 (December)
91 Ahmad S. Islam and Zeba I. Seraj – Use of Biotechnology and Molecular Tools for Crop Improvement and Sustainable Agriculture – paper presented at the Islamic Academy of Sciences’ at Rabat, 2001
92. Ahmad S. Islam - A full length invited article on Corchorus olitorius (jute) published in Crop Protection compendium, 2001 & 2002 (revised) by CAB International, Oxford.
93. Ahmad S. Islam and Yousuf M. Islam – Information Technology: Aspects related to Internet Use. Proceedings IAS Conference held at Tunis, Tunisia, 2000; pp. 347- 352.
94. Ahmad S. Islam – Dire Necessity to Promote Science and Biotechnology in Islamic Countries – Proceedings IAS Conference held at Tehran, Iran, 1999; pp. 169-183.